Amanda is a plant breeder, primarily involved in the apple scion breeding through the Apple Breeding Consortium (ABC) at NIAB EMR. She also has involvement in the apple and pear rootstock breeding, predominantly in the trialling of selections and the development of new breeding methods. Amanda’s research interests include quantitative and molecular genetics and she is currently carrying out a part-time PhD studentship focussed on the genetic control of resistance to the pathogen European apple canker, Neonectria ditissima.
Title: The nature of resistance to Neonectria ditissima in apple species
Duration: February 2017- February 2022
Partners: NIAB EMR (lead), Worldwide Fruit Ltd (WFL), Fruition PO, International Nurseries Network (INN), T&G Global
Funding: BBSRC (BB/P000851/1)
- Cockerton, H. M., Karlström, A., Johnson, A. W., Li, B., Stavridou, E., Hopson, K. J., ... & Harrison, R. J. (2021). Genomic informed breeding strategies for strawberry yield and fruit quality traits. Frontiers in Plant Science, 2102.
- Li, B., Cockerton, H. M., Johnson, A. W., Karlström, A., Stavridou, E., Deakin, G., & Harrison, R. J. (2020). Defining strawberry shape uniformity using 3D imaging and genetic mapping. Horticulture Research, 7(1), 1-13.
- Cockerton, H. M., Li, B., Stavridou, E., Johnson, A., Karlström, A., Armitage, A. D., ... & Harrison, R. J. (2020). Genetic and phenotypic associations between root architecture, arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi colonisation and low phosphate tolerance in strawberry (Fragaria× ananassa). BMC plant biology, 20(1), 1-14.
- Cockerton, H. M., Vickerstaff, R. J., Karlström, A., Wilson, F., Sobczyk, M., He, J. Q., ... & Harrison, N. (2018). Identification of powdery mildew resistance QTL in strawberry (Fragaria× ananassa). Theoretical and applied genetics, 131(9), 1995-2007.
- Karlström, A., Belalcazar, J., Sánchez, T., Lenis, J. I., Moreno, J. L., Pizarro, M., ... & Ceballos, H. (2018). Impact of environment and genotype‐by‐environment interaction on functional properties of amylose‐free and wild‐type cassava starches. Starch‐Stärke, 1700278.
Full publication list
More on Amanda's work: